Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Twist and Spin with Sumiotoshi-June 8th, 2008

Sunday we practiced one technique the whole night. The waza involves irimintenkan while spinning our hand directly over the hand grabbing us. If done properly, the aite's baody is forced down into an unbalanced psoition. We then spin our arm out and snap their arm straight. The final move is to enter their space and twist their arm, bringing their head down sharply. The aite then does tobiukemi to protect themselves.

Here's the teacher demonstrating sumiotoshi.



Some key points I learned on Sunday drastically improve the technique. First is, when doing irimintenkan, we should project our hands out forward more. This pushes the aite into a more awkward position. The next spin will be much easier at this point.

The second point I picked up on was not to push our partner's arm when we deliver the final move. I was constanly pushing their arm. It hurts them and doesn't bring the head down. Instead, sensei said to come up from below and twist their arm downwards. This snap/twist jerks their whole body into place.



Above, we see sensei move into irimintenkan. Note the curling of his hand directly on top of mine.



Here see the end result. Me getting thrown to the mat. 'Nuff said!


I think I got it right a few times. Still have a bad habit of pushing, using shoulder strength. Unlearning can be much harder than learning in the first place.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Basically a mail to say hello. I can't open the videos but nevertheless got addicted to your blogs. It's like being a little bit there.
Here I just train alone. In the dojo here are sometimes a few judo-guys training. One of them told me a throw over the shoulder. Actually it's very much like aikido, only that you create their momemtum by jurking on their clothes rather than taking the momentum they provide themselves. Of course that needs strong clothes as they have. The guy I threw was taller and probably 10 kilos heavier than I was. They all thought it was cool that I could do the shoulder throw. I thought the same, which is ridiculous because we often practiced that. But somehow I never associated it with judo-things which I saw during olympic games (silly, how one can fool oneself). Although the guy was much musclier in arms and upper body than me, the aikido type of strength was more than enough to control him (at least I think so, we only practiced very carefully). But I really would like this pack of muscles around my neck and chest, just to protect those body-parts. Man, do they bump into each other. Now I also understand why they do ukemi over their shoulder and not over their arm: 1) they have to stay inside the mat, 2) they often role together. He threw me, and I did a maeukemi over my hand, not realizing that it was a submission throw. Roling together with someone else over your arm sure hurts, although nothing broke.
After a shoulder throw they land flat. When I mentioned that a counter-attack from that position is very difficult, he agreed, but said that the referee ends the fight at such times anyway.
Must say that I love aikido much better for the beauty of moves and cleanness of feeling. The judo, however, has some animalistic whole body energizing power, which is also fun. Guess once and a while I will keep joining them, although I am a bit afraid for injuries.

Hans

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

In Tokyo I asked sensei if anyone in the many demonstrations came close to what Ueshiba-sensei, the founder, did. You know that sensei trained with him. Sensei said "no, nobody can do what he did". The way he said it implicated that the difference was quite big. It also implicated that he himself can't copy everything of Ueshiba-sensei.
But on other occasions I think that he said that he took some waza's or some elements of aikido further than ueshiba-sensei did, and that we should do the same with him. First copy, then improve. He even used the term 'steeling', we should 'steel' his aikido. He also taught us to study each other, try to understand the good elements of each, and integrate them. Must say that is much easier. When the aikido-opponent is not that good, but nevertheless does a number of good things, it is much easier to dissect his movements compared to an opponent who does a perfect waza.
At other times sensei told us that everyone should develop an aikido-style that fits him.
In summary, it is probably the same as with most arts. There are the basics which you should master, and then a master expresses himself in the art as an individual.
Well, I am just at the beginning of the road of copying.

Hans

T said...

nice tip! now that I think about it, I tend to forcibly push during this technique as well. I'll have to consider this point next time.

家出 said...

この時期地方家出娘達がわんさか。まだ何もしらない純真無垢な地方家出娘達があなたの住んでるすぐ近くにいます!今すぐ掲示板にアクセスしてあげて

高額バイト said...

速報!何かとお金がいるこの時期楽でなお且つ遊べてしかも高収入のバイトが遂に発表された!とことん自由に楽しく自分のペースで稼いで年末を潤して下さい

デコログ said...

退屈な毎日から抜け出せるチャンスがここに!いろんな異性がいてるから確実に出会えること間違いない!中には芸能人も登録してるって噂だよ