Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Timing is Everything-呼吸投げの話-Sunday, June 15th, 2008

We only practiced 2 or 3 techniques on Sunday. That means we did each one for 20-30 minutes. Great way to focus on tiny details.

Our last technique is one that I have always had difficulty performing. The aite approaches us with a shomen attack. With most wazas, the tori would respond with a kiriage from the same hand. Here, we spin backwards into the opponent's space and grab their wrist with our opposite hand. Our other hand is brought up straight against the underside of their arm to guide their movement. This is done while spinning and dropping to our knees. We don't need to pull them, just guide their momentum to the mat.

Enough of my explanations, I will show you the video.



私にはこの技がとっても難しい。受けは正面打ちで取りに来る。取りは相手のスペースに入って180度転換する。その事をしながら、反対の手で相手の手首を掴んで違う腕は相手の腕の下に上げる。 終わりは自分の体を下げる。相手の腕を引っ張るの代わりに相手の勢いで受けを導く。畳に。

この技はスローモションで出来ない。スペイン語を話すみたいに、早くしなくてはいけない。その事は私の問題。4、5回やってから、ちょっと良くなってきた。タイミングはすごく大切。

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

I don't know if you changed something or the computer settings of my institute changed, but anyway the computer gods took pitty on me and I can see the videos. Great! Also very nice stuff from history and other dojos. Thanks for making such a nice blog.

Hans

jrfiction said...

I'm with Hans on that, your perseverance in posting, and the self deprecating sense of humour make this a very enjoyable read Steki! Keep up the good word. 日本語も勉強に成りますね。頑張ってください。

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

I was always bad in kokyunage, probably as my breath tends to stop at opponent contact. In Tokyo Sensei spent a lot of time stressing to me how wrong I breath and what I should do to improve it. Inhale through the nose, and let out through the mouth in patches. And the whole waza as a single breath. I am practising the breathing technique, but probably do something wrong, as I feel like a goldfish blubbing for air. Nevertheless it improves. Having no opponents here, I have to rely on the library of aikido experience in my head (all you guys attacking me), but maybe the word "kokyunage" finally dawns to me. I always thought that it had something to do with the "strength of center in relation to breathing". Practising the breathing, I now imagine that the word may have a more direct meaning. If your opponent attacks you, and you turn with him and let your breath out in the direction he is going, he has no point to hold on and just keeps going in the direction of your breath. Probably Sensei has explained that a thousand times and I never picked up on it because of my poor Japanese language skills. Or maybe I am wrong? Well, will visit the dojo in a few months, and see if it works. The goldfish-throw!

Hans