Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Soft Landings and Happy Endings-April 6th, 2008

Last Sunday we were back at the Obata dojo. New, soft mats. It was a small group, so the sensei didn't teach in the usual fashion. Instead, we got into pairs and were told to practice what we wanted. I think sensei was slightly upset that so few people came that night, but the free choice lesson gave me and my girlfriend the chance to work on some techniques we have been messing up lately.

She and I went through the list of yokumen and ushirodori techniques. She is getting ready for her shodan test, so I was uke most of the evening. Again, the soft mats were noted and appreciated. Both yokumen and ushirodori involve using both hands and we have to grab the correct hand or the waza doesn't work. My girlfriend and I were confused about whether to grab the aite's upper or lower hand. Sensei pointed out the differences and I think we generally got the idea.

Besides all my errors, stamina seems to be one of my biggest weak points. I went full-throttle for a solid hour. Getting thrown, bouncing up and getting thrown again. Then I reached a point where I had trouble getting back up fast enough. This causes problems for the tori, as they have to wait for this old man to get on his feet. I really need to focus on building my own strength. Come to think of it, today is a beautiful spring day. Great day for a long bike ride. Think of it as cross-training.

Couple of quick notes. I brought my camera, but was practicing too much to take any pictures. My apologies. Also, we are getting ready for Tokyo next month. I haven't been told who my partner will be, but I will let you know right after I find out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Sensei will not be upset about few people coming. He will be upset when he has the feeling that all people are freewheeling rather than really want to learn. A single fanatical person already makes his day. Why doesn't that be you? Just go every Saturday and Sunday, and Sensei will put all his efforts into you. Then you have investment of a worldclass teacher dedicated almost entirely to you (and for free!)
In your type of job you can be better or worse, make more or less money, but greatness can hardly be achieved. At your age you probably also have experienced most things a young man should have experienced. If you look for adventure and greatness, why not look for it in dedication to Aikido? I felt Ian was getting close to it, and he really didn't have more talent than you (except probably the use of his lower arms and hands, which he never used the first years of his aikido). Anyway, make Sensei happy and us proud, and go every Saturday and Sunday. Stamina problem will also disappear.

Hans

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
steki47 said...

Very good points there, Hans. My general problem at this point in my life is that I have lost my passion. For everything. Work, aikido, etc. I had it for a long time, but it has faded in the past year. Every part of life has gone gray and dreary.
To seek greatness and regain my passion in aikido would elevate my spirits in other facets on my life. Socially and professionally.

Anonymous said...

Great work.