Monday, April 21, 2008

She Takes Her First Step-April 19th, 2008

Saturday night we had two people take their black belt tests. My girlfriend and another fellow. I was chosen to be his partner. I'm glad sensei didn't ask me to work with my girlfriend, would've been a tad embarrassed.

The four of us bowed to the sword, to each other and the test began. Sensei called out the names of techniques in a rapid-fire style, making it difficult for me to hear what he was saying. Bear in mind, I was being thrown to the mats as he announced the next waza. As long as I caught the first word, I was ok. I knew my line, as it were.

My partner did quite well. He forgot a couple of techniques and so we had to start over a few times. When he froze, I tried to give him a hint with my fingers. That is, if I remembered the technique myself. Must admit, my hiatus of several months emptied my repertoire. We went through a general run of the waza list. Starting with the seated (座儀) forms, on to aihanmi, gyakuhanmi and finishing with the hanmihandachi techniques. A few ushirodori and koshinage stuff thrown in as well. No tanto or katana, I noticed.

I am hardly fit to teach or critique others at aikido. Readers will notice that I generally criticize myself and my own mistakes. Having said that, my partner showed the same error I often do myself. Perhaps out of nervousness, he went through each waza very quickly. Even when he clearly didn't completely remember it. I mentioned to him afterwards that if we go a bit slower, more methodically, the technique often looks better. Beyond mere beauty of display, the waza is also much more effective, as the tori can perform each step of the waza with more control and poise. Last thing, if you go slowly, it gives the confues student a chance to feel the flow of the technique and realize what he/she needs to do next.

All in all, the double shodan test went really well. We are very proud of the two of them. I am particularly proud of my girlfriend for her achievement. Now the real test is to see if my fragile male ego can handle the fact that my girlfriend and I are now at the same level.

No comments: