Monday, April 30, 2007

April 28th, 2007-Control and Release
















Saturday we practiced more for Tokyo. My partner and I spent 45 minutes trading off throwing each other. We have to decide soon what wazas we will do, got less than a month left.

Got some mixed news. Sensei wants me to be the tori in Tokyo. Wow, my first time to throw my partner. I was quite flattered until the sensei said it was because my uke is so bad. Still, I'm pretty happy.
Before that, all of us worked on a technique that starts with being grabbed. Then the tori drops and spins while raising our other arm. Essentially we guide the aite over our shoulder and onto the floor.

I was practicing with a rather tall nidan and we spent some time experimenting on how much we can control our partner's fall. If the tori releases us early, we can gently (relatively speaking) land on the mat. If the tori aims for below the mat and doesn't release us, then the uke gets slammed pretty hard.

My partner was rather merciless, so he was not releasing me at all. Instead he just whipped me full force. I felt like a cheap futon. Loosened me up real good for the rest of the night.

No comments: