Tuesday, April 03, 2007

April 1st, 2007-Little Things Mean a Lot

Sorry for the delay in posts. Went to the dojo last Sunday. Only practiced two techniques. First was Aihanmikatatedori Shihonage. Shihonage has been a weak point of mine for years. Small class, so the sensei spent a lot of time with each student. I was making a mistake by turning my hand and grabbing the aite's arm too soon. Instead he taught us that we should keep our palms up and rotate down against the aite's grasp and bring them towards us. This serves to upset their balance and prepares us to twist the arm and go under their arm.
My second error was bending my arms when I pivot under my partner's arm. If I bend my arms, their arm is very loose and relaxed. When the sensei demonstrated it on me, my arm was completely immobilized. And it was painful, of course. I tried it again, this time keeping my arms straight and more horizontal. My opponent was not relaxed and their arm was twisted and immobile. Their balance was disrupted and it was much easier to finish the waza.
The interesting thing is that the differences between a good, effective waza and an ineffective one are quite small. Usually a centimeter in the right direction will make a world of difference. Yup, little things mean a lot.

No comments: