Friday, April 27, 2007

April 27th, 2007-Variety is the Spice eh?

Quick one hour practice today. Besides sensei, there were four of us this morning. We did a variety of techniques, let's see if I can remember them. Kotogaeshi, ikkyo, shihonage.

Actually, we spent quite a large part of the session practicing ushirodori. One of my favorites. It involves grabbing the tori's wrist while running behind them (hence the "ushiro" 後ろ)and trying to grab their other wrist. The tori has to tenkan and act as a pivot for the attacker to spin around. Their momentum, combined with the tori sliding back a bit, puts them into a disadvantegous, unbalanced position. This makes it quite easy to perform the technique.

The final segment consisted of me in the center doing kokyuunage with four people attacking. They were flying at me with no warning, not waiting their turn. It was pretty fun, but a bit confusing at first. Then I stopped thinking about everything and just did the waza. Over and over, from all angles. Just a smooth blur of tenkan.

After practice, sensei and I were chatting about the group today. We were a mixed group of different ability levels. Different nationalities, too. And I had to work with all of them and react to their movements without fear, panic or even much thought. To achieve this in the dojo would be impressive, to utilize this firm yet respective calm in my life outside the dojo would be amazing.

No comments: