Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Saturday March 17th


Last Saturday's practice was great. Everyone is getting excited about the upcoming Enbukkai, so we have been rather gung-ho lately. Sensei taught us a number of variations of morotedori techniques-including a shoulder throw that I'm not very good at. Oh at the beginning, Sensei was kind enough to focus on my tobiukemi. I'm still making mistakes on this basic foundational move. I am trying to coordinate all these little details into one fluid motion. Sensei had me do tobiukemi several times in rapid succession.
I was practicing a cool waza with our newest shodan. It's a nagewaza in which we sweep our partner's feet backwards, knocking them forwards. Kind of a reverse of most throws. It took me a few tries to get the rhythm, but it was quite a bit of fun flipping my partner. Head over heels as it were.
Towards the end of the evening, we got to try an original creation. A sensei special. The name is something like tennchi nage no kaeshi. We start doing the standard tennchi nage, but as our partner falls they throw us. It is a rather acrobatic waza, but when done properly looks pretty cool. Most wazas involve tori dropping/throwing the uke, but this one allows for a sudden change mid-waza. 誰が投げられるかわからなかったけどすごい楽しかった!

2 comments:

Hitomi said...

今回は、アクロバティックな技が多かったよね。
tradersteveさんは楽しそうだったね。
私は恐かった~~~。

jrfiction said...

いいですね!ステキな技、途中で繰り返した。