Saturday, March 24, 2007

Friday March 23, 2007

Went to the dojo this morning. Short one hour practice. For the past month or so, sensei has been focusing on tenkan with multiple opponents trying to stabus. It can be quite bewildering at first, but it forces us to perform the movements fluidly without thinking.
This morning's practice consisted of three variations of iriminage. First we practiced the usual grab-by-the-neck form. Then we tried a couple new forms. I forget the name, but my favorite involved flipping the aite backwards, legs flying up and forward. As the aite tries to stab us, we would do iriminage and slide our arm up the partner's arm/torso. If you move your arm too quickly towards their face, they snap and react. When the time is right, we slide our arm up under their neck as we place our other hand in the small of their back. Took me a few tries,but the end result is the opponent being flipped/swept and slammed down to the mat.
Here's a weakness of mine. I am learning to do some wazas properly,but I don't have much control. This morning, when practicing with a fairly new gaijin, my timing was a bit too good. My partner is still working on his ukemi (falls); I could have caused him to bonk his head pretty good. Must admit, it was quite a bit of fun. He was chuckling too.
Great session today. We all had sore, red necks leaving the dojo. A few of us went to nurse our wounds over coffee and donuts.
Oh yeah, sensei gave me some dvds of our practices. I will try to review some of the key points in future posts.

No comments: