Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Moretedori- A Two-Fisted Tale-Part II

Sorry for the absence. 2 weeks ago, we spent a sweaty Sunday working on some two-handed techniques. With the aite grabbing us with both hands at full force, many of us instinctively tense up and push with upper body strength. A natural response, but totally incorrect in aikido.

Here's the shihan being grabbed by a tall fellow:



Instead, we must bend our wrist upward and allow the opponent to fall into us through his own power. The sensei of course makes this look easy. And it is. If you let become easy. I didn't.

As with many things in life, I made it much more difficult than it really was. I thought too much, worried too much, fought too much. The result was a sweaty, frustrated writer.

I eventually relaxed and did the waza somewhat effectively. What a snap! How easy! How stupid I felt! I just stopped fighting and moved right through the technique.

The rest of the waza is a result of the aite losing his position of power and almost drowning in his own strength. The tori just steps into the uke and lets the uke fall of his own accord.

Here's the shihan entering the aite's space with an iriminage as the uke begins to drop to the mat:



Why do I make the simple things so difficult? Why can't I just flow smoothly into things with all the stress and hardship?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Many thanks for this article! It absolutely was very useful.

Anonymous said...

This website is certainly wonderful, seriously worth reading

Anonymous said...

A really outstanding and educational article here. My partner and i reproduced it and examined everything a second time

Anonymous said...

Wow, decent blog post. Thank you for sharing these kinds of products. I truly take pleasure in it

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for offering these kinds of very helpful tips. Congrats upon becoming an exceptional blogger.